Mr Giles Cunnick, Consultant Breast Surgeon, and Dr Vaishali Gada, Consultant Radiologist, both from Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust, will swap their hospital scrubs for walking boots this September as part of Scannappeal’s Bucks Hospital Hike challenge.
Scannappeal, who fundraise to provide cutting edge medical equipment for hospitals across Buckinghamshire, have introduced this brand new event for 2022. The Bucks Hospital Hike is a two day event to mark the charity’s 35th anniversary and will see walkers following footpaths and bridleways across the county to connect Amersham, Stoke Mandeville, and High Wycombe hospitals (the three main hospitals that the charity fundraises for). Over the course of the weekend, the walkers will cover a total of 50 miles, the equivalent of a marathon a day!
Giles explained his reason for wanting to take part: “most of our breast cancer patients at Wycombe Hospital have surgery using specialised equipment funded by Scannappeal. Within the last two years alone, Scannappeal has funded a dedicated Breast Biopsy Suite and two state of the art MRI scanners. The equipment they fundraise for benefits our patients on a daily basis, helping to provide more accurate diagnosis and treatment”.
Vaishali added, “The Breast Unit has benefitted greatly from Scannappeal fundraising and taking part in this event is a way of acknowledging that support whilst setting ourselves a personal challenge. It would be wonderful if the local community would get behind us and donate to our fundraising page, knowing that every £1 donated will make a big difference to the charity’s work”.
Donations can be made to Giles and Vaishali’s fundraising page by visiting: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/BreastTeamBucks or by contacting the Scannappeal team directly on 01494 734161.
How Scannappeal is helping Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust hospitals:
- Over £16 million raised to purchase state of the art medical equipment
- Over £1m worth of specialist breast equipment funded by the charity since 2004.
- In 2020 a £350,000 was successfully completed to fund a dedicated breast biopsy suite.
- Equipment purchased would not otherwise be available through the NHS budget alone.
- 1 in 4 of the local population have benefitted from equipment funded by the charity.
- Current Robot Appeal will fund a surgical robot for Wycombe hospital benefitting patients needing gynaecological, prostate, bladder and bowel cancer surgery.
Would you like to support Scannappeal and Bucks hospitals? Registration is still open for anyone wishing to sign up for the 50 mile challenge Bucks Hospital Hike – Scannappeal or you can join the team for the final 15 miles of the walk by registering here Bucks Hospital Hike Golden Route – Scannappeal