Scannappeal have recently launched a £1 million appeal to fund a surgical robot for Wycombe hospital. The Robot Appeal aims to deliver the very latest innovation in robotic surgery in the fight against cancer for patients in Bucks and surrounding areas.
The surgical robot will initially be used for cancer treatment in the areas of colorectal, urological and gynaecological cancer, and for non-cancer treatment in these areas. There are other non-cancer specialties too, such as upper gastro-intestinal, hiatus hernia and abdominal wall surgery, and as the surgeons become more experienced, the number of cancer specialists they see will increase along with the patient numbers. When robotic surgery is in full use it is likely it will be used fully six days a week.
Scannappeal are overwhelmed by the generosity of a local family trust who have kick started the appeal by pledging £100,000 matched funding to the Robot Appeal. They hope that this will be an incentive to the local community to show their support for the Robot Appeal whilst doubling their donation – every £1.00 donated the charity will receive £2.00.
The equipment facts:
- The surgeon has complete control of the instruments used to perform surgery
- Each instrument can be moved with precision, enabling precise examination
- Interlinked instruments move like a human hand but with seven degrees of movement
- The system’s built-in tremor filtration technology helps the surgeon’s movements
- The stable camera platform produces 3D high-definition views
- The surgical area is magnified x10 producing crystal-clear views
- Surgery will be carried out closer to home, with local follow up
- Surgical time will be reduced with shorter hospital stays
- Quicker post-operative recovery with rapid return to normal activity
- Minimally invasive procedure compared with open surgery
- Less painful procedures resulting in less tissue trauma
- Lower blood loss and reduced incidence of wound complaications
Scannappeal is appealing to individuals and businesses to consider donating to the appeal this Christmas. Karen Shardlow Head of Fundraising for Scannappeal said: “Many people choose to make a charitable donation at Christmas and right now any donation made to Scannappeal will be automatically doubled meaning £10 becomes £20 instantly. As a charity our aim is always to provide the very best medical equipment for our local hospitals and the Robot Appeal is a fantastic example of that. Our neighboring hospital trusts already have robotic equipment and we are thrilled to be working towards bringing this much needed technology to Bucks’.