It’s Volunteers Week meet James one of our terrific volunteers.
1) How long have you volunteered for Scannappeal?
Between 20 and 30 years years.
2) Why did you first get involved with Scannappeal?
I worked at Verco Office Furniture (Sands) Director, Vere asked me if I would help (volunteer) so I joined happily.
3) Tell us about your role?
Mainly my role is collection from the public, i.e. street collections or supermarkets. Occasional other duties.
4) What do you like most about the role you do?
The most important thing is meeting people, with a smile for everyone!!
5) Can you tell us about the most memorable thing that’s happened to you whilst volunteering?
When I have been collecting in High Wycombe on the High Street a gentleman gave me a large bag of coins; it was from his children’s money boxes. The bank refused to cash it, so he donated it to me!
6) What contribution or achievement are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my determination to regain my fitness (health) after my cancer operation in 2011. I had the all clear last August!
7) What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
When I was a young man (18 years old) an older foreman said to me, ‘You work a third of your life, so enjoy it’. He also told me, ‘it costs nothing to smile, so be happy always’.
8) What might someone be surprised to know about you?
During my early years (5-12 yrs) I lived in Richardson St. High Wycombe with my Mum, Dad and Grandfather, also in our yard (shed as well) two African monkeys and a horse!
9) In one sentence why should people volunteer their time to support Scannappeal?
This charity provides new equipment for our local hospitals, for everyone to benefit!
10) Finally if you could go anywhere and do anything with no limit on time or money, where would you go, what would you do?
a) Take my four grandchildren and one great granddaughter (18 mths) Scarlett, to Disney World Florida.
b) A trip for me to Hong Kong where I spent 20 months national service. RAPC 1959-61